MSW14: Semi-Finals Explained

Hi dolls!

A lot of you have been getting in touch with questions about the MSW Semi-Finals, so here are the answers to the most common questions. Have fun voting, and good luck to all the amazing semi-finalists!

MSW13 winner SweetSkyangel

Q: How were the 30 countries with semi-finalists chosen?

A: The 30 countries with the most amount of MSW votes made it through to the Semi-Finals, just like in 2013.

Q: But how come my country wasn’t chosen?

A: Of course we’d love to feature all the countries from across the Stardoll world, but with so many of them (over 200!), it simply wouldn’t be possible. If your country doesn’t have any semi-finalists, it means that there were not enough MSW votes cast in your country.

Q: Why didn’t you tell me that my country wouldn’t have any semi-finalists?

A: Since the 30 top countries were chosen after all the first round votes were counted, it would have been impossible to predict which countries were going through.

Q: Why didn’t I make it to the semi-finals? I know I got enough votes!

A: The semi-finalists were all chosen for having the most votes, and for following the MSW14 rules (which you can read on the Contest page). Remember that even though someone says they voted for you, there’s no guarantee that they actually did. If you didn’t make it to the semi-finals, it means that you didn’t have as many votes as the top 20 in your country. Better luck next year!

Q: But what about the other countries? Last year there were “continent queens”.

A: This year we wanted to make the competition as fair as possible and to avoid cheating. That’s why it’s not possible to vote for the countries or continents which aren’t in the top 30.

MSW13 winner SweetSkyangel’s Suite

Thank you so much to everyone who got in touch with suggestions and feedback. We take everything you say into consideration and we’re always working hard to keep improving Stardoll and MSW.

29 Responses to “MSW14: Semi-Finals Explained”

1. 3 Anonymous September 26, 2014 at 8:53 am

Rather poor explanation to a lot of valid questions out there.

Reason 1: Should have at least provided a fine print that only 30 countries to be selected.
    Fairly simple, it’s all down to mathematics, statistics and plenty of logic.Smaller nations would obviously have a smaller population size – not just entire population, but the urban population itself and the general buying power its people have; now factor it the amount of people playing Stardoll – the demography itself would only be a small fraction of US and some larger countries. So the odds itself to begin with are uneven – bigger nations with larger urban density would definitely have a huge advantage over smaller ones.
    So to say that we would have no clue which nation would go into the semi-finals is rather weak. This new “rule” have allowed us to guess with rather good accuracy which nations would go into the semi-finals round. This competition does not start off with even sets of winnings odds; it would certainly end with those with more leverage over others.
    It’s not that difficult to just inform your players in advance. It’s a matter of courtesy and also a small note that the outcome might not be that fair or desirable.

Reason 2: Removing continent queens prevent cheating
    To begin with, cheating has become so inherent in MSW that I really doubt removing continent queens would eradicate it at all. Continent queens at least provide some dolls the chance to compete due to their nations smaller population size relative to some countries.
    In fact, this new 30-most-active-nations rule, if applied again in future, will cause more cheating to occur. Now dolls from smaller nations would know that the odds to win are uneven; to win they need collaborations with other dolls from their countries – but that alone is insufficient. Like I said in Reason 1, population size matters. So how do these dollies even stand a chance – create plenty of fake accounts. This might sound daft, but the amount of desperation and craze that surrounds MSW – anything is possible.
    We have seen plenty of dolls with over 10 fake accounts voting for themselves daily and nothing was done to prevent it.
    Stardoll, if you really want to stop cheating, make the voting process unique to IP address. Problem solved.

A lot of people are feeling angry about this new rule. While many might point out how pointless it is to be so aggravated over a game, be reminded that they have the right to feel so. The amount of money, time and effort spent into it were all for nothing. Don’t say that it’s their decision to spend; this blaming the victim mentality needs to go. Remember that no one knew of this rule; those dolls spent that much time and money because they believe the odds was even.

2. 4 elena September 26, 2014 at 10:06 am

Stardoll WE WANNNTTT CONTINENNTSSS THIS IS NOT AT ALL RIGHT

3. 5 nelly000esparis September 26, 2014 at 11:09 am

We appreciate you did not ignore and answered to most of our questions related with MSW. Although, I don’t think that continental queens mean the bigger possibility of cheating. It can happen in any country that has its name on the list of voting.
    I know some people who change their countries just because they think that will help them win, but that’s why we’d always have only 1 or 2 players in semi from smaller countries, meanwhile other, usually the big countries have ~30 players to represent them in semi.
    Talking about the cheating, it happens during all of the competition from first round to the last.
    There are only a few things needed to prevent all this. It is to track the ID and see where the person is really from (that she or he could not change his/her country) and check if there are many accounts from the same ID that are voting for one of their own accounts.

Anyway,
    we can see the rules of MSW changing every year, so with no anger this year, let’s just hope for better next one.
    xoxo
    nelly000esparis

4. 7 Anonymous September 26, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Then if all countries are not included it really isn’t Miss Stardoll World. I think it was unfair to not notify us less significant countries that we weren’t included. Happy for us to spend our star dollars on a competition that didn’t include us. Disappointed.

5. 10 clo September 26, 2014 at 12:52 pm

This was really helpful. Please vote me for MSW Australia as I am a semifinalist. My stardoll username is wally1 thankyou so much xx

6. 11 Anonymous September 26, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I’m from Belgium. & I’m really disipointed in stardoll, because you don’t say it in the rules that only 30 counties going to the semi’s… Next time say this in rules for the other peoples. Thannk you
    Scharpyevens

7. 12 maria September 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm

please vote me miss stardoll egypt 2014 🙂 ~miss-maria25 ~ kisses

8. 14 metallicaevil September 26, 2014 at 2:41 pm

And what about the dolls fake? Many people join in the semi-finalist using dolls level 10 called “fake” so what do u think about it stardoll?

• 15 zita September 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Completely agree with you! I was a member of another site and one member kept winning their contests over and over and someone pointed out about multiple accounts solution that one can use. It was a site where you didn’t have to pay so the issue was more about principle than commerce. If the prize wasn’t so big I would let it go but to maintain Royalty status isn’t easy for everyone. I don’t know, just venting.

9. 17 Pexco September 26, 2014 at 5:50 pm

The correct answer is that the MSW competition should be STOPPED altogether because there has always been complaints, controversy, arguments, doubts & dissatisfaction about this competition since it started. Also it can never be a fair competition because it is unfair to pick out few members out of millions & shower them with lots of gifts & also there are millions of members & different countries to choose from.which makes it complex & complicated for Stardoll admin to run. Not to mention the cost to run it which makes some members feel mainly paying members should win because they contribute more financially to the site. Instead there should be a random generator competition where any active member who has been active for a specified period would be picked by Stardoll admin to be the doll of the day or week this would give more players a fair chance of winning something because some of us have been on stardoll for years & we get nothing for it.

Bring back the catwalk feature every fashion game has a catwalk feature where we could show off our styles & any random member could win. And instead of introducing new features which are the same as cover girl (e.g. the vote & spotlight) why not introduce a suite competition. And another suggestion os to allow us buy an extension for our basic rooms which are really small & also add slower navigation button in the rooms because the current one moves you from side to side when you want to be in the middle.

• 18 zita September 26, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I posted a reply before seeing your response and you said everything I was thinking. I love the random generator idea. Stardoll read Pexco’s response and take the suggestions seriously!!!

10. 19 KingofDisaster September 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I’m still not satisfied by these answers, if anything I think MSW is getting worse! We all want to compete but its common knowledge that the smaller countries don’t stand a chance to place in the top 30 and now with the removal of the continental queens why would people from smaller countries even try? I think it is so unfair that even though you could have been one of the most voted dolls during the first round of MSW, if you are from a small country that doesn’t have a lot of active members compared to bigger countries, you didn’t qualify!

I think the information given to us about MSW is very misleading and not very informative! We should have been told that this year there would be no continental queens and only 30 countries would qualify. This would have made people aware of the risk that was involved if they did choose to compete. So many members like myself wasted our time and money on MSW only to find out we didn’t qualify because our country didn’t have enough votes cast. Even though we may have worked harder and gotten more votes than some of the people who did qualify, we didn’t because we are from a smaller country which I think is unquestionably unfair.

In conclusion I am extremely disappointed in the Miss Stardoll World competition this year and the way that it was managed and communicated to us. I am very discouraged and do not think I will ever campaign for MSW ever again because it seems to be a waste of my time and money as I stand no chance.

11. 20 Iru Yokotawatte September 26, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Dolls from my country on stardoll is almost no. What if I was the only girl from my country who playing on stardoll and gained a lot of votes? Then how I can to stay semi-finalist? I guess… I know… no way… Thanks for justice!

12. 22 Anonymous September 27, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Yes you answered most of our questions, but I still think you should have informed people that only 30 countries would make it from the beginning of the competition. This way you wouldn’t have made people from small countries that knew they would never had a chance because of the country they where from (discrimination) use alot of money on stardollars so they could promote themselves. I feel this turned out as a scam from you to make people buy stuff. You did a poor job on informing us about this “amazing” rules of yours, that people have a very good reason on being angry and upset.

I understand that you couldn’t have all countries, but you shouldn’t have removed the continental queens.

13. 23 Al Summer September 27, 2014 at 5:50 pm

M – Miss. S – Stardoll. W – World! I think that you should call this comp – Miss Stardoll, without word “World”. In World Comps all members can participate and represent their country! And doesn’t matter how many amount of votes one or other country gathered. This is a comp for best dolls from different country and culture, not the 30 top-list. I wish next year you’ll include Continental semifinalists and our dolls will have a chance!

14. 24 Anonymous September 28, 2014 at 9:01 am

I don’t buy it one bit…last year I lived on a very small Island – population just around 60,000. I was the only consistent player from my country and I was made a semi-finalist without even trying. I wrote to each member from my country after I made the first round and tried to get some to play and vote but I was lucky to have gotten 20 votes thereafter. I was lumped in with people from other small countries and I wasn’t expecting to go further. This year was a complete fail. The info that there would be a chance some countries would not be in the finals should have been stated right from the beginning. You make the rules up as you go and it’s a shame for the younger members who spend hard earned money to promote themselves. You had a lot of nerve raising the broadcast to 8sd in time for MSW – no one wants spam in their GB and most people closed their GB for that reason. The 1 person I voted for every day during the semi finals was from India, which is not even my country, but I felt she was deserving of the title and her country was one that didn’t even qualify. MSW is now considered a joke amongst many and I for one am not voting and having fun with it at all.

15. 25 laura September 28, 2014 at 11:01 am

I’m really dissapointed. my most important questions aren’t answered at all! for example, Sweden is n the list. sweden! My country, Belgium, has a bigger population than Sweden and we aren’t in the semi finals! I think that if stardoll’s office wasn’t located in Sweden, it wouldn’t be in the semis.
    Or what about Cyprus! It has only 10% of our population! I really don’t get it. Belgium has more talented and pretty dolls.
    And I mean, it is not fair to eliminate someone, because she is from a country that is smaller. It’s possible that there are onle 5-6 high scoring dolls, but they don’t even have a chance!
    I think that there are many dolls that aren’t going to compete anymore. i mean, paying for more sd or royalty makes no sense enymore right? we don’t stand a chance anyway.
    popotje

16. 26 Ali September 28, 2014 at 3:07 pm

which countries are in it? Is America in it? How do you know if you’re a semifinalist?

17. 27 Anonymous September 29, 2014 at 2:30 am

These answers don’t give reasonable explanation for removal of continental queens.
    How removal of continent queens can prevent cheating???
    The info that there would not be continent queens this year should have been stated right from the beginning of MSW 2014.
    Most users on Stardoll want to compete and we all should have equal chances to win, no meter where we live and how populated is our country. With the removal of the continental queens, Stardoll users – your customers from smaller countries don’t stand a chance to place in the semifinale, let alone win the crown. Lot of people is disappointed and angry, as they spent time and money only to find out that rules of competition are changed widouth previous warning.
    Competition is great motivation for mobilizing creativity and for spending stardollars, but after first round of MSW 2014. lot of your customers might reconsider spending theirs money and time on Stardoll in feature.

18. 29 omnia September 29, 2014 at 6:15 am

i love msw contest and i am semi-finalist 4 this year BUT stardoll should say about the 30 countries i have friends from small countries and i am very sad for them